The village of Kayaköy is situated on the Fethiye peninsula, 120 meters above sea level.
İn the past it was known as Levissi, under that name it was inhabited by Greeks until 1922. But long before that the inhabitants were Lycians in a town called Karmylassos. A few Lycian ruins are left in the village, and Kayaköy is now a part of the Lycian Way. The deserted Greek houses on the hill inspired Louis the Berniéres for his book “Bird without Wings”.