Spinach with rice
There are lots of people not keen on spinach, so far İ have seen every spinach hater turning into a spinach lover!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, copped very fine
- 1 kilo wild spinach, chopped roughly
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup white rice (baldo is my choice)
- 1 table spoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup of milk (or if you are not on a diet 1/3 cup of cream which makes even more smooth)
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes (if desired)
Heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the onion until soft, be careful not to burn the onion. Add garlic and stir in well. Add the spinach (the water on the spinach is enough for this dish) and the rice and let it cook on low heat until the rice is soft, keep stirring well because the spinach on the bottom will shrink quickly as it cooks and it should be all cooked gradually. İt takes about 20 minutes.
Then add the tomato paste, salt, pepper and the milk (or cream) and stir in well. Turn of the heat when all is smooth and soft and not too running.
Serve with red pepper flakes.
* İf you like this dish more Turkish then you cook everything as above, but skip the garlic while cooking. And replace the milk with yogurt.
Crush the garlic and mix that with 1 cup of yogurt.
Do not cook the yogurt mixture with the spinach together but serve the spinach either hot or cold and top it with the yogurt garlic mixture.